Tuesday, January 28, 2014

First steps. Again.


Every journey begins with being brave enough to move; to propel yourself forward, lifting your leg and setting your foot down into what will be your first step.  Sometimes it's easy.  Sometimes the circumstances you are in are ones that you just can't wait to get away from and start anew. But, sometimes, it's hard.  Sometimes fear grips that ability to propel yourself.  Sometimes it keeps that leg from lifting and taking that one simple step.  Sometimes... it just takes awhile to gather the courage you need to take a breath and move.

So, here I am.  I'm taking my first step.  Again.

Starting over in anything is frightening every time.  I've lost count of which start over i'm on but I know it's been a lot.  Honestly, all I need to give that step forward to is this new one.  All the others got me here but they are already taken.  They are the past.  They are my mistakes and my failures; my weaknesses and my losses.  This step is new and so am I.

Most of you don't know me.  And, depending on where this blog ends up, some of you will know me (hello!).  None of you truly know my journey and what it has taken me to get here.  None of you will know what it will take to get me to where I'm going.  There will be a select few who will be standing by me (as I stand by them in their own journeys) in what lies ahead for me and to those few I say, "Thank you".  You've become the very thing that God knew I needed.  And here we go.

So what's next?  Well, I don't know.  I'm ready to see where this first step takes me.

Relationally, I'm getting married in May and I can't wait to share the rest of our lives and our own journey together and with God.  By the way, being that I'm 40, I never thought I would ever find someone for me.  Just when I had given up and became all right with the idea of singleness for the rest of my life, BOOM! There she was.  She is an incredible blessing.  And I'm thankful.  I'll write more about that story another day.

Also, I want to connect with you.  Old friends and new.  At least as much as I can and as much as any of us can.  I'm sure we can give and receive plenty of grace as we attempt to do this.

Creatively, I hope to stretch and better my writing and perhaps finish some or any of the stories I have rolling around my brain-case.  I think I have some good ideas up there.  Maybe you can help me figure out if they are or not.  And maybe I can help you with yours? If you are writing as well, that is.  If you're scratching my creative back, then I should be scratching yours!

Spiritually,  I'm continually growing.  Anyone who says they've got it all figured out is flat out lying.  No one is perfect on this earth and everyone needs help to get past and keep moving beyond their own stuff.  Again, you help me.  I help you.  In community we will be.

In closing, I can say that I don't really know what I'll be writing about.  Just life and stories in some form or another.  Just me.  And you.  Us.  I hope that works.

First step taken.  Now, on to that second one... whew...

Brice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sleeplessness

 In the passing days of the last month of 2022 I find myself-- and i'm sure I'm not alone in this reflection-- a man sitting alone o...