Wednesday, August 20, 2014

In Memoriam: Billy "Roger" Shipman

September 9, 1938- August 15, 2014
Billy "Roger" Shipman

 On the far right in the above picture is my great Uncle Roger- my Grandfather's youngest brother.  I had the privilege to know him well.  Today, surrounded by his immediate family and friends, he was put to final rest after a sudden loss to an aggressive cancer in his brain.  I wish I had a better picture of him but, this one was the only one I have where he's standing still.

 He was a very active person.  He raised and took care of horses and loved animals.  He loved going to auto shows and races and shared the thrill of the sport.  He was a championship bowler. He was an avid gun, stamp and coin collector.  He was always doing something or planning to do something.  He was so much more than these things.  
 He was also an avid writer and poet.  At his funeral today, the family had a friend read a poem he had written called Wings.  Although, I can't remember how it went, I do remember it was beautiful.  It told a story of a bird whose nest and everything it had was washed away and taken by an oncoming storm.  Everything was taken except its wings.  So, the bird flew up and above the darkness and harshness of the storm.  It rose above and toward the beauty of the sun where it was safe.  
 Just a beautiful picture.

He loved his family and his country almost as much as he loved God.  I think that is what I noticed and loved about him the most.

 His church was nature and that is where he connected with creation and God.  I share that place and that connection.  Putting yourself in such surroundings brings all the beauty of this world around you, engulfs you and flows over you in the warm sunshine, the falling rain, the cold snow and the gentle wind.  That was where he lived and shared his life.  This is what I saw in him and what I learned from him.

 I was honored to have him at my wedding almost three months ago.  It's so difficult to put into a few words what a man's life has meant.  It's even more difficult to honor a man with those same few words. Sometimes, a word isn't enough.

 Rest in Peace, Uncle Roger.  Tell my Grandpa I said "Hi" and give him a good goosing.

Brice

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure he felt just as honored to have you in his life. Very nice tribute Brice. Sorry for your the loss to you and your Mom. - Cousin Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss Biehn. You know he and Roy are up there having a hay day just biding their time until we all join them in glory. Great picture. - Big D

    ReplyDelete

Sleeplessness

 In the passing days of the last month of 2022 I find myself-- and i'm sure I'm not alone in this reflection-- a man sitting alone o...