Friday, January 22, 2021

The Year We Went Without

 

Of all the things we've lost the privilege of doing over the debacle of the last year, I just want to take a few minutes to focus on one-- going to the movies.

Man, I miss it. 

I miss the excitement of seeing a trailer for something really good and when the text of "Coming Soon to a Theater near you" or better yet a date of its release showed up on that massive silver screen I just wanted to transport myself right then and there. 

I would count down the days.

I'd find me a movie buddy who wanted to see a particular movie and we would make the plan. We would stake our claim to which theater, what day we wanted to go see it and whether or not we wanted to do two movies.

The day would come and I'd make my way there. I'd park my car and walk up to the huge building that played out all the magic Hollywood could muster. I'd pay for my ticket and walk through those glass doors with a little bit of pep in my step. The excitement would fester and grow.

Sometimes I'd grab a drink. Sometimes I wouldn't. That wasn't were the magic was. The magic started at what came next.

The first magical moment for me was always that initial step through the doors to the specific theater for the movie. I'd walk out of the crowds, out of the concessions, and into the darkness of another coming world. The long hallway would lead me into the theater and it would open up to an ocean of seats, all facing the huge silver screen. 

That was where other worlds began.

That was where we would be taken to for ninety to a hundred and forty or so minutes. It could be shorter or longer bits of time but none of that mattered. It was the places we would go. The people we would become and the lives we would live. 

For me, Movies would remind me of what it was to be human. They would remind me that Good does overcome Evil. They would tell me again and again that there are things so beautiful and large in this world that I would ache to see them.

It was the story that always lifted me out of that seat at the end of the movie. It was the story that rolled around through my mind for hours or days or even weeks after. It was the stories that saved me so many years ago. All the stories that came to me at the right place and time.

This year was different. Something changed and so many things were suddenly taken from us. 

I can only hope that change is temporary. 

Someday soon I hope I can have that same excitement of going to the movies with no fear and no mandate. I just want to be free again. Free to watch movies.

We've been without so many things for so long now. I miss this one. 

I hope the world that we knew returns. 

We are better together as a part of of the world rather than separated from it.

I'm looking forward to being in the theater again. I'm ready to watch me some movies again.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sleeplessness

 In the passing days of the last month of 2022 I find myself-- and i'm sure I'm not alone in this reflection-- a man sitting alone o...